As you may well gather from my last few posts it is damn cold in these normally sun kissed and glowing Northern Rivers. All I have is a constant reminder of how the magic rays of the sun can benefit a man from the ever-so-constant facehead up dates from my compatriot and long time friend Pauly, as he eats his way through the back alleys and undulating hillsides of South America. I love them, I really do, but fuck Pauly, it was -1C this morning when I got into my chariot to commence my journey to my residence of daily assignment… and believe me when I say it was a slow journey, as three of my seven chariot drawing carnies had fallen to the dreaded frost in the night. Don’t sleep I tell them, don’t sleep.
But, to warm my cockles and yours, I do still have a bit of Bacon Week overflow.
One of my favourite combos two ways; Bacon, baby broccoli, anchovy and chilli pizza or pasta… you choose.
It’s easy enough that I probably shouldn’t even need to offer you an actual recipe. Well, that’s what I was thinking but… yeah, I’ll do a recipe.
BACON AND BROCCOLI PASTA (for 4)
6 rashers bacon, sliced into 5mm pieces
1 brown onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 long red chilli, finely diced (you could use a pinch of dried chilli flakes if you want)
1 bunch baby broccoli or broccolini, chopped into 4cm pieces, any thicker pieces of stem sliced in half lengthways
Enough pasta for 4, cooked as per packet instructions
Grated parmesan to serve
• Hit a pan with a splash of olive oil and sauté everything except broccoli and pasta until it is starting to get a little colour and smell damn well delicious
• While the bacon thing is going on blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute and 1 minute only
• Add broccoli to bacon mix and sauté for another minute
• Add pasta to pan, toss to combine adding another splash of olive oil if it looks like it needs it
• Serve that shit up immediately with a handful of parmesan on top
• For the pizza all you need to do is smear a bit of tomato passata over a pizza base, lay a couple of pieces of cheese on there, chuck the same ingredients over that and cook in a really hot oven until done to your liking. Try it. It will make your face smile