Smoking (or purchasing a pre-made product is a totally feasible option from the layman) a seemingly ridiculous amount of ham for your family Christmas is actually a pretty damn good idea. In fact, it is one of the better ideas I have seen in these parts for nigh on a while that’s for sure. Smarter than the guy who decided to put some meat in between two pieces of bread and call it a sandwich, even.
When Jennee returned from a pre-Christmas trip to town with a leg of pork (like, the whole thing in it’s 10kg unadulterated glory) for me to adulterate in ways that will not be spoken of, but would result in the purest of smoky tanned ham for the table this Christmas, I thought she had gone a little Christmas-crazy. After doing the math, Jennee also decided that she may have run mad…
Oh what fools we were.
This ham has been the gift that has kept on giving this Christmas. It embodies everything the true spirit of Christmas is all about. Unstoppable in its generosity and love, it is the Mother Teresa of the food world. So beautiful… so very, very beautiful. I’m welling up here just thinking about how much it has given, and how little it has asked in return…
I need to move on before my tears do a mischief to my laptop.
HAM & CHEESE TOASTIE
Sliced cheese. Some kind of cheddar is good, but brie or provolone would be excellent, as will just about any cheese you have on hand
Thick sliced bread
Mustard or piccalilli
• Layer one slice of bread with ham and cheese. Spread a good layer of mustard or piccalilli on the other piece of bread and place it on top of cheese to form a “sandwich”
• Butter the top piece of bread on the outside. Mental
• Place butter side of sandwich down in a pan over medium heat. While that side is sizzling away butter the side of bread that is facing up
• Cook “sandwich” for 2-3 minutes each side, pressing down once or twice with a spatula
• It’s going to burn your mouth if you eat it straight away, but try letting one of the bad boys cool down
And please remember; Ham – it’s not just for Christmas, it’s for life.