Same old shit
This sounds ominous… is Paul about to start ranting about the state of affairs in world politics?
No I’m not instead I may take a small jaunt down rant lane with destination number one, your shopping trolley (or basket if you live alone and have no friends). The trolley is the first line of attack as far as new interesting food goes, without something in said trolley you just wouldn’t be able to cook… FACT!
In hindsight you could grow and or raise your food in your garden but for those of us that prefer to smell and look nice, then a shop is the best option.
I can picture you now walking around the shop wildly grabbing items you like with out much thought into what the hell it will be used for, “I like corn lets grab some” well here’s an idea, no fuck it here’s two idea’s…
1. Plan your shop around at least two full meals
2. Buy something new or different every shop
Now number two is the most important, as variety is the spice of life unless you’re in a loving relationship then I retract my former statement and replace it with monotony is the spice of life. Regardless of my misused sayings, what is important is that you mix stuff up, try using different vegetables (how many of you are still thinking I’m talking about relationships?) different styles of cooking, different plates really it may be as simple as deciding tonight I shall prepare dinner with a spoon and a large comical fishing hat…
Every component adds something different and when one is changed it starts a flow on effect that will create something new, and creation is always a beautiful thing, so start mixing up your shopping list. And for the love of god put some ballsy items on there like pig’s ears or tripe, you may hate them or you may love them but without trying you will never know. My father always said don’t knock it till you’ve tried it, he did however always say this with a slight smile as if to suggest I should have sex with a man at least once in my life. Well I still haven’t found a man up to my very standards but rest assured when I do I will roger the hell out of him and then and only then make an educated decision whether I like buggery or not.
Once again as only I can I have digressed ever so slightly from my point which is try new thing, on reflection I haven’t actually digressed at all… yay me!!!
In the wise words of ‘Wham’ “wake me up before you go-go” now why on earth would anyone want to be woken up so as to see someone leave?
Maybe so not to be left hanging like a dangling yo-yo… those boys sure knew how to write a song.
Crispy pigs ear
I know what you’re all thinking… but you’re wrong. This recipe gives you not just one delicious product but two. In fact I believe the stock that comes from cooking the ears is tastier then the ears them selves. But the crispy pigs ear is probably the best bar snack in the world, also great as a garnish in a salad or on top of pasta. The pig is the most extraordinary animal in the world as there is nothing that is not delicious on its entire body, I can hear animal lovers screaming already….
2 pigs ears
1 large onion, large dice
1 large carrot, large dice
1 stick celery, large dice
1 small leek, large dice
4 sprigs thyme
50g plain flour
500ml oil for frying
Salt and pepper
• Firstly boil the ears in a pot of water for 2-3 minutes to get rid of any impurities, discard water
• In a medium sized pot add all vegetables, thyme, parsley and 2 litres water and of course the ears
• Bring up to boil then lower to a simmer and simmer for up to two hours or until the ears are supple (can be pierced with fork)
• Remove the ears and let cool then cut into ¼ inch slices
• DO NOT discard the stock that is left, on many levels it is tastier then the ears themselves…
• Mix both flour’s together and season, at this point you could also add other spices to the flour mix (e.g. five spice, cumin, cinnamon the list goes on)
• Heat up the oil in a wok or small sauce pan
• Coat the slices of ear in the flour mix and fry in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until they are crispy.
• Serve immediately…
Please go out and try at least one of the things I’ve suggested today 🙂