Not unlike the Energizer Bunny or a 74 year old Greek man on Viagra…
A great realization I had about spit roasting a whole pig (Mr Awesome) was that even when you are feeding 60-70 hungry carnival folk, there’s still a fair bit left for the next day… and the day after that… and the day after that.
So, aside from making a nasty YouTube clip with the pig’s trotters and carcass, here’s what we did…
Roasted ribs with salsa verde
Pretty self-explanatory I think.
Pork, carrot and mustard fritters
2 cups chopped pork
1 finely diced brown onion
1 cup grated carrot
1 tablespoon each whole grain and Australian (mild yellow stuff) mustard
1 cup self raising flour
Salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients together
- Pan fry in what ever oil you have in the cupboard, over medium heat, for 4-5 minutes each side. You want them to be nice and brown
- Check they are cooked by breaking one in half. No battery goo in the middle = cooked
- Keep warm in a low oven while you cook the rest
- Eat with salad and condiments, or just tomato sauce if you’re still a bit hung over from the wedding last night…
Pulled pork in mole sauce (a chilli would work just as well) with kidney beans, slaw and rice, smoked habaneros, jalapeños and yoghurt
Use the recipe for mole sauce, which you can find here, omitting the chicken and adding the pork at the end just to warm through.
You all know how to make ‘slaw and rice (let me now if you don’t and we’ll help you out) by now surely.
For the kidney beans
1 420g tin red kidney beans, drained
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 tomato, diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
2 bay leaves
A good splash of olive oil
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until soft and smelling delicious
- Add other ingredients and cook out on med-low heat for 10-15 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
- I’ve never made this before and was a little apprehensive as I’m not even the hugest fan of kidney beans, but saw a similar recipe and thought I’d give it a go. It was definitely the surprise of the day. Try it!
This was a very awesome end of Mr Awesome’s time with us. The only thing that could have possibly lifted the level of awesome was tortillas. But I had no inclination to pack my weary ass into the tractor and drive into town. So level nine awesome was our highest achievable score today and it was reached with minimal fuss for maximum awesome. Awesome.
NB. A bit of an ass of a situation occurred with the photos that should be all over this page. I don’t know why but my iPhoto program has decided it doesn’t want to recognize the files from my camera any more (so I only have what I took the day before). I decided that if iPhoto was going to play like that then so can I… so now I don’t recognize iPhoto as being anything but a piece of shit icon on the side of my computer screen. Fuck you iPhoto. Fuck you very much.
Hopefully we can all play nice again tomorrow…