It is officially winter.
Well, if you are one of the approximately 740 million people living in the southern hemisphere it is officially winter.
The nights have got cold. Cold like Tony Abbott’s bed (and if that isn’t cold by now it damn well should be), but the days… the days are still kissing our cheeks with uncustomary rays of glorious sunshine. What a sentence. Back to the nights… those cold, cold nights. It’s nights like these that are just begging me to get a pot out and braise some oh-so-tasty lamb shanks to warm the very depths of my person. “Please cook some lamb shanks”, said the cold. “Just like nana would make. Except, chuck a little extra shit in there, cos I know you and you gotta chuck a little extra shit in there”.
Tonight I shall listen to the cold speaking to me, possibly take another tab of acid or two just so it can hear me when I talk back, and I shall be cooking myself some lamb shanks… I will even make enough for my family to have some, too.
LAMB SHANKS WITH TOMATO AND OTHER GOODIES (for 4)
4 lamb shanks (the shanks off the back legs are a little bigger so they have my vote)
1 medium brown onion, sliced (does not need to be fancy… this is nana cooking at it’s finest)
1 carrot, chopped (peeled? Don’t even do that)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ preserved lemon, skin only, sliced finely
1 sprig rosemary
a few sprigs of thyme
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
Caper salsa (well, I was going to make caper salsa but the bottle told me I should forget about that and have another drink… it would be a worthy accompaniment if you can be assed and the recipe is here) and whatever vegetables to serve
• Brown the lamb shanks in a casserole dish
• Add everything except the tomato and herbs, cook out for a few minutes or until the onions soften
• Everything else goes in, cover and whack it in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 2 hours
• Check to see if the lamb is falling off the bone. It isn’t? Well chuck it back in the oven for another 20 minutes or so
• Once ready serve the lamb on a worthy receptacle as a base for it’s journey to your mouth hole
• Put some vegetables on the side and spoon the tomato-y goodness over the top
• Bust open the wine, sick your ass down and be sure to thank me later