THE YOUNG MANS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
(or at least around his kitchen)
While this little article may appear to be directed toward the young male demographic, there’s no law that says girls can’t read it too. We’ve come a long way from the days they girls and guys had to sit in separate bars, and girls couldn’t vote and all that sorta shite. So I am certainly not going to sit here, at my lifeline into the world of the http://www.interweb.superhighway, and tell you otherwise.
Let’s just get on with it.
I had a conversation just the other day with a young chap by the name of Jimmy. We talked about all sorts of crazy stuff. I got lost in his eyes for a large part of the conversation, but I snapped out of it right when he got to the part about not having enough time to cook and only being able to make crappy simple stuff. A comment that you know I’m going to rip the shit out of but surprisingly still holds a little merrit. Crappy simple stuff I don’t believe, but simple stuff yes. Just swap crappy for good and your brain for one that works. Sorry. The brain comment may have been a bit harsh…
My mind immediately drifted back to a time when I was a young man. Reckless, care-free, partying… wait up. Isn’t that current times? Anyhoo, the point of this story is that I would still always eat well. Quite often a liquid lunch but who wouldn’t agree that’s a fine start to an afternoon?
But I did make real food, too.
One of my fav’s, and a sure-fire winner if I were trying to impress a young lady, was creamy garlic prawns, or occaisionly lobster (not because I was a silver spoon little mumma’s boy, I was lucky enough to know someone who had a boat, caught the lobster, and once in a while threw a dog a bone. If you know what I mean). But that was a long time ago, and girls these days are a little more concious about their fat consumption. Hehe. They ask you about calories, and low GI and all sorts of other random army crap… so lets just make something nice and simple, easy and good, and if they start asking random questions that you are not equipped to answer make something up. And hope for the best.
But let’s remember the huge advantage you are holding right now (that’s huge AVANTAGE. You filthy effer). You are a guy, you are young, and apparently you can cook. Triple thumbs up right there, brah.
Prawns are still a pretty good option I think. Unless, of course, you are allergic to seafood. In which case don’t make this ‘cause I don’t want your effing face swelling up and ruining my night… again. But for everyone else, here goes…
PRAWN PASTA TO IMPRESS A GIRL
A couple of fistfuls of fresh prawns, from the seafood shop if you can
1 packet of pasta, cooked to packet instructions, drained and drizzled (argh. Horrible word) with a little water and some veg oil so it doesn’t stick together. Penne is a pretty safe option. Also it may seem like a lot of pasta, but we’ll eat the rest tomrrow night when you’re sitting back, basking in all your glory
1 avocado, scooped out of skin and roughly chopped
1 tomato, roughly chopped
1 handful of coriander, roughly chopped
1 handful of rocket or spinach. Girls love this shit. Fuck, I love this shit
3 Tblsp sweet chilli sauce
½ lemon, juiced
salt and pepper
you’ll also need a decent sized frying pan and some kind of heat source to cook on
• Put everything except prawns and pasta into a bowl. Give it a little mix
• Heat the pan on a medium heat, add a splash of olive oil. When is get’s hot add the prawns and season with a pinch* of salt and pepper
• When the parwns are almost fully opaque, add 2 big handfuls of pasta and fry off for 1 minute. Add A SPLASH of water or white wine if you have some
• Add the avo mix and stir through.
• Taste your dish. It is very important to taste your dish. If you serve a dish you have not tasted I hope something goes terribly wrong. You have to taste your food, of this I am verey sure, and clearly very passionate
• If it tastes a little bland add a pinch more salt and pepper. Better? Good
• Serve it up and eat it in your face… and hers
As my mate Pauly would say “BAM”. I hope she get’s her knickers off for ya.
MY MUM’S LEFTOVER PASTA WITH EGG FOR THE NEXT DAY
• Add a spash of oil to a hot pan
• Chuck in a couple of handfuls of leftover pasta, stir
• Add 2-4 eggs, depends on how much you like eggs, and scrambled them into the pasta
• You want it to stick a little and get crispy bits. But add a bit more oil if it sticks lots
• Once the eggs are just cooked serve with tomato sauce and salt and pepper
• That’s it. Nothing else
• My brother Matt would be proud
*just remember you can always add more seasoning, but it’s pretty hard to take it out.