search instagram arrow-down

Recent Posts

Categories

Join 768 other followers

Pages

Instagrazza

Follow foodisthebestshitever on WordPress.com

Warm salad of squid, chickpeas, olives, tomato and herbs with nutty za’atar

warm salad of squid, chickpeas, olives, tomato, herbs and nutty za'atar
It is difficult to conjure up a cracking meal with what can be only described as eff all. I am not a magician; I don’t even have the skills to do a basic card trick and I certainly do not possess the powers of alchemy.

What is not difficult though, is creating a cracking meal with what I was faced with tonight; fresh squid, herbs, spinach and tomatoes from the garden, our own marinated capsicum (peppers), olives, chickpeas and some za’atar with a bit of nutty addition for good measure.

If we are reading from the same book (but let’s face it; we are probably not. In fact I don’t think our books are even from the same library as I am ashamed to say I would’ve skipped on straight past the public book loan place and picked myself up a magazine from the news agent next door) we both know that there shall be a damn attractive salad emerge from this stack of ingredients. A fantastic, light, summery, still-trying-to-cling-on-to-those-last-few-warm-days type salad.

Anyway, you can see this shit is going to be good so I’ll get right on with the main event.

No magic involved here

No magic involved here

Squid and chickpeas getting to know each other

Squid and chickpeas getting to know each other

Eat it quickly... and without the children

Eat it quickly… and without the children

WARM SALAD OF SQUID, CHICKPEAS, OLIVES, TOMATO AND HERBS with NUTTY ZA’ATAR (serves 2 if you feed the kids toasted cheese sandwiches for dinner and then eat yours once they go to bed)

500g fresh squid, cleaned, scored in a criss cross (not Kris Kross. That would involve pants being worn backwards and that’s just weird whatever planet you’re from) pattern on the inside of the hood and then cut into 2x4cm pieces
1 cup cooked chickpeas (the ones from a tin are fine)
1 handful tomatoes, chopped
1 handful olives
1 handful roasted and marinated capsicum (peppers), sliced
A handful of fresh mint and basil, torn
2 handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons nutty za’atar (recipe follows)
A splash of oil
Juice of ½ lemon
Seasoning
A couple of beers or something white to wash it all down

• Get all of your mis en place ready before you start cooking because once you begin it’s all going to be over very quickly… yeah, a bit like your performance under the sheets last night
• Get a heavy based frying pan plenty hot. Add oil and then squid. Toss for 45ish seconds
• Remove from heat and add the chickpeas to warm through for a minute
• Combine with all other ingredients, dress with lemon juice and a splash of olive oil, season lightly and sprinkle with nutty za’atar-y goodness

NUTTY ZA’ATAR

2 tablespoons za’atar
2 tablespoons chopped almonds and walnuts

• Mix it all together and bam, there you go

22 comments on “Warm salad of squid, chickpeas, olives, tomato and herbs with nutty za’atar

1. Conor Bofin says:

I’m doing a bean, pea and spinach salad thing to go with some lamb. Having read this, I’ll add some nuts. Good on ya for the idea.

2. cheergerm says:

Whether we read the same books or not, we are on the same page when it comes to your delicious food. Nice work Food, making me hungry. Those ingredients look so darned fresh it’s like being punched in the face by a little minty chickpea fist….

1. Mmmm, minty chickea fist 😜

3. Mr Fitz says:

Can I get a loan of that mag please?

4. chef mimi says:

I am drooling. This salad is perfection!

1. Why thank you… It was pretty damn good 👍

5. Wow! What a unique combination of ingredients! I love it. Man that looks good.

1. A bunch of ingredients that truly spoke to me too. They new what was instore.
      Cheers my friend 😁

6. Man Fuel says:

This is crazy creative. I never would have thought to pair these ingredients with squid. Looks awesome though.

1. And holy shit it all goes so well together. Defo worth a try if you get the opportunity 😁

7. The fresh herbs and zaatar us what throws this one over the edge for me. So so good!

1. Cheers Amanda. They really did make all the difference 👌

8. I love this type of food – piled up and dig in – awesome combo of ingredients – you done well my friend…lol

1. Heheh. Cheers. I did done pretty good eh 😜

9. Wonderful gear….I love squid…and za’atar. When the squid boats come to port in this area, all the decks and the fishermen are black with ink. Owing to a Brussels directive the squid ink has to be sold separately…..mad fuckers:)

1. That would be quite the sight. Mad fuckers indeed 😜

10. this looks delish!! nomz

1. Why thank you. I certainly was the goods 🙂

11. laurasmess says:

I am obsessed with za’atar (though I am always so frustrated to have to put that freaking apostrophe in the middle of the word. BUT… as a grammar Nazi I cannot avoid it. It’s a compulsion #firstworldproblems). This is a freaking amazing vehicle for such a bad ass herb mix. Extra props for the scoring of your squid, anyone would think you’re a chef! 😉

1. Man, i kid you not that fricking apostrophe does my head in too. But the tastiness makes it all worth it 😁
      I scored that squid alright! 10/10 😜