Chilli Con Carne with Beer
Post number 500 and we’ve just hit 400 followers to top it all off! And what better way to celebrate than a few beers with an old friend, while on holiday and eating a big fat pot of slow cooked goodness (not the pot, just the contents, that is).
This recipe has been inspired by Matt at Inspired Food in a guest post for my good blogland friend Laura at Laura’s Mess… pretty apt that the inspiration was from him really. Very apt indeed. Thanks Matt. Thanks for the inspiration.
I knew for a fact I would be making this after we arrived in Wooli and I had surveyed the bounty of food Jennee packed. My mind thought about many of the things we may or may not cook this week, but chilli con carne was on the the-house-will-need-to-actually-burn-down-and-leave-me-with-absolutely-nothing-including-the-cash-I-would-need-to-purchase-more-ingredients-to-stop-me-from-making-this list. I spied rib eye steak (I would’ve preferred chuck or flank but this will do the job) and a fat tin of kidney beans, which were staring back at me with their “pick me, pick me” eyes. Also, I had my friend Mark (who is the champion responsible for making that little search box you can now see in the top right corner of your screen) visiting tonight with a couple of extra younglings, so we can escape our wives for a night of debauchery and male bonding our wives may have a night to sit down together with out their children and discuss the issues poignant to the survival of the human race and possibly enjoy a shandy or two. Or, in an alternate reality, maybe they will all make out and send us photos of the results. I’m hoping the alternate reality vortex gets it ass over my house and opens the fuck up tonight! And I’d better call Jennee to make sure her phone is charged just in case…
This is the sort of shit you want to cook to impress your friends. It doesn’t require a heap of culinary talent (so you’re sorted), just an afternoon to slowly simmer away and get really sexy. Like the toothless old barmaid at 2am after drinking your own body weight in beer sexy. Give this baby some time and it will be the friend you thought you’d never have.
CHILLI CON CARNE WITH BEER (enough for a party)
1kg* beef chuck or flank (or rib eye if that’s what you got), diced
2 brown onions, diced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons Tex-Mex spice mix (recipe follows)
1 teaspoon smoked chilli powder (or not if you’re feeding the younglings)
1 cinnamon stick
750ml beer. Tooheys new is what they seem to drink in Wooli so Tooheys new is what I used
3x 400g tins crushed tomatoes or tomato passata
3x 400g tins red kidney beans
2 pieces good dark chocolate
Steamed rice, pickled jalapenos, tomato and avocado salad/salsa (work it out) and natural yoghurt or sour cream to serve
• Get a nice big pot out for this one
• Season beef and sauté in a little oil until it starts to get some colour
• Add onions, garlic, Tex-Mex spice, chilli powder and cinnamon. Cook out for a few minutes until onion is soft
• Add beer (Seba likes to pour the beer in. I mean he really likes pouring a bottle of booze into something he’s going to eat… Hmmm, should I be concerned), tomatoes, beans and chocolate and simmer on really low heat for 3 hours, stirring regularly. This could also be a slow cooker moment if that’s how you roll
• Check if beef is tender by eating a piece (no rocket science or molecular gastronomy involved in that one), if not simmer for another half an hour
• Once beef is tender check seasoning and serve that shit up like a king!
TEX MEX SPICE MIX
¼ cup each dried thyme, oregano and ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried chilli flakes
• Mix it all together and store extra in an air tight container for your next Tex Mex feast
Welcome to Wooli boys!
*If you want it meatier feel free to add another 500g of beef and leave out 1 tin of kidney beans. And yes, if you don’t eat meat at all feel free to substitute the beef with a couple of tins of lentils or chickpea or whatever you think you like. I was once vegetarian too, you know